Tuesday 20 October 2009

Hmmmm

For some reason the team has struggled to focus lately, with all of us feeling slightly lethargic. I dont know why, it just seems like the energy and drive is sucked out of us as soon as lunch is over.

We had a dissertation session this morning which was kind of helpful, but I would have much rather of been getting on with work for P.O. I then sat down in the afternoon to design what I felt was a very important prop for the film - the headphones. The others disagreed, blasting it as a waste of time and unessasary. I understand where the guys are coming from, as I am technically behind schedule with thumbnailing, but I am ahead on other things such as modelling and story. Anyway I disagreed as I want to build my pre production folder and make sure every last detail is planned for the modelling stage. I dont want to say to someone - "go model the headphones" in 2 months time and get "what do they look like?" as a reply. I feel like things are being slightly rushed, and I know for a fact it can come back to bite you later on.

After a few sketches I gave up as I was just too tired, as were the rest of the team. We decided to call it an early day.

This evening I felt guilty, and so after a rest I decided to try again. My first aim was to research the damn things. I needed to know how they fit together, the way the plastics molded, where the screws are, how the headband attaches, the texture of the muff, etc. The best way to do this is to gather a number of different styles and designs and produce a moodboard for reference...



I also remembered these sweet adverts made by a company called Candylab who I used to do some work experience with...



They were made for nokia and are beautifull modelled, lit and textured. I want to aim for the same level of quality, but obviously with a much much more simple design!

I then set about designing loads and loads of cartoony variations, trying to keep the style consistant and funky. I wanted "chunky, rounded, muffs". I eventually settled on one which look feasable, and took it into PS for a bit of sprucing up. I've begun to add colour and texture to gain an idea of the final look, as well as to help save time in the production stage. I'll keep you updated...

No comments:

Post a Comment