Tuesday 6 October 2009

Colour Scripting

After browsing some of the other blogs from our year I stumbled across the term "colour script". After looking at examples, mainly from Pixar, I realised that they are actually a vital stage of the concepting process. They allow you to express the change in colour and mood throughout a film via a series of storyboard panels - hense the 'script' part.
"Up"

"Incredibles"

"Nemo"


A feature length film will journey through a range of atmospheres and locations, so the colours will vary dramatcially, whereas a short film like P.O will only experience very subtle changes. The ward will transition from a dark blue moonlit room - to a bright, clinical and fresh atmopsphere when Jed switches on the light. However change is change, and it must be illustrated, so today I'll give you one guess what I decided to make....


Above is the rough sketch I produced this morning. It I focuses on just the key shots of the film (each gag) and where the colours change. I spent the rest of the day colouring it in PS, however it is still not finished yet as making sure all the colours compliment each other takes time.

No comments:

Post a Comment