Thursday 1 October 2009

Pinch, Punch, First Day of the Month

Unfortunately Kieron cancelled contextual studies today.

After getting over the disappointment the gang continued to concept like mad throughout the day. Although yesterday seemed to be more of a Splay success, with grigsby & spence churning out masterpieces like nobodies business, today was quite the opposite.

Simon sorted his photoshop skills out, and produced 3 awesome colour concepts of the ward. He scanned in his rough drawings, then overlayed simple blocks of colour on top to achieve a colour palette effect. It reminded me of some old disney backdrops, such as in 101 dalmations and Aristocats. . .



I'm sure I've also seen this style used in Monsters Inc artwork. Anywho, he discovered a style that looked really nice - check them out on his blog. Because of the simple shapes I was able to sit with him and adjust the colours, changing the mood and tone of the room to somthing closer to how I invisage. We settled upon subtle blues, turquoises, greys and whites - clinical and not overpowering. I want the characters and life support machine to stand out as much as possible in the room. Simon definately deserved gold star today.

Alec also sorted his life out, and managed to spit out a really good life support machine design in flash. Its just an outline at the moment, but still - its pretty damn detailed.

Yesterday saw me sketching hundreds of variations until I stumbled upon one which the group deemed worthy of coloruing and developing, and so thats what I did today. I spent the day colouring the new design in PS. It took all day, but to do it properly thats what it takes - especially without a tablet. I'm pretty sure I have developed my own style in PS now - simple gradient shading, minimal detail, topped off with a gaussion blur glow ;). I try to achieve a 3D feel to the character, adding shadow and highlights where necessary. Below is the original skecth, and finished colour version.


I like it alot more than the original aztec design, simply because it matches Ed's goblin/worm style. In a nutshell - they now look the same species. I do still have to decide on skin colour however, as the room is beginning to take a very cool blue tone and so his blue skin wouldnt stand out enough. I quickly played around with different shades at the end of the day - a few tests can be found on the team blog.

Tommorow Im going to take a break from character and focus on the wards walls and textures. I want to plan out the camera pan from the wall to the patient during the opening titles. I want to achieve something like these ....






No comments:

Post a Comment